Deep down you know everything you need to know to make a big difference in your life. There is no secret or big truth to uncover to show us how to be productive, happy, grateful, and successful. We know what to do. We know the right things to say to ourselves.
I don’t believe that knowledge is the problem. I certainly KNOW all the right things to do and say. It’s a lack of motivation. The lack of motivation to write that important email or letter that needs to be done. The lack of motivation to get to the gym even though you know it’s what your body needs.
As much as I would love to say that I have an abundance of motivation, I simply don’t. I could make all sorts of excuses to not do things that need to be done. But I won’t. Sometimes just getting started is the key
Motivation lives inside of you. Nobody can motivate you to do anything. You motivate yourself. There is no such thing as a “motivated” person versus an “unmotivated” person. There are only those who bring their motivation to life and those who let theirs sleep through the years.
What does it take to bring your motivation to life?
That has been a question, I have been wondering for a long time in the past months. Here is what I have been reading and what others have told me.
First, it takes believing in yourself, and trusting that this source really does live within. If you don’t do this step, nothing else works. Believing in yourself takes a lot of courage and work. I have been working on this for years and years. I still have trouble with giving myself enough credit, that I can really do this. This, being anything I want to do or accomplish.
Whatever it takes, work your way to believing that motivation comes from deep inside of you, period. Let the rest of the world blame genetics, heritage, and social conditions for their lot in life, you stay in charge of yours.
Second, it takes giving yourself gentle loving reminders of what you know and more importantly, of what you may forget. I made a list for us so we can remember together as we wake this sleeping force called motivation to keep us company when we most need it.
1. You are unique. Not another person in this world thinks, feels or sees the world the way you do. Don’t forget this one and then ask yourself: What can I offer the world with my uniqueness?
2. You are fortunate. You are more fortunate, more blessed and have more resources than necessary to make any dream possible. Proof lies in desperate situations that has been difficult of many successful people of our time. They succeeded despite the odds against them.
So embrace whatever you dream, because it is possible and highly likely for you to succeed.
3. You have time. You still have a chance. One day, the doors will close on your life and there will be no more chances to take or to miss. Time will be up. Today, you have time. Use every single minute wisely.
This really hits home for me as I take a look back at this week and realize just how fast things happen. Death can sure make you look at what life is really about.
4. Live NOW!! The odds that your parents, grandparents or previous generations could achieve the kind of dreams you dream today are slim to none, no matter how motivated they were. Chances are life did not afford so many opportunities.
You were born at the right time, in the right century, with the right technology, and infrastructure around you. How incredibly motivating is that?
5. You have options! There really were days when people had few to no options. There really was a time when opportunities were scarce and when your economic condition did not improve much from decade to decade. These times are still prevalent in some countries even if you and I cannot even fathom such conditions but we can try.
If fitness is what or where you need the motivation….there are options such as the YMCA. They have options for scholarships for lower income folks. Also check with your work, they may offer a discount for a membership there or another facility.
There is no greater motivation in this world than the moment you truly embrace your gifts, your opportunities and your time. All doors open to you. All goodness beckons you. All success and happiness awaits you. Check out the computer. Google it. Check out other blogs. Motivation comes in all forms.
So seize the moment, tap into that motivation, and use it to step gently into your own greatness.