I don’t know whether to cry or be angry…
It’s all so confusing to me still… I have yet to get to the point where I’m comfortable in my own skin.
It seems such a daunting goal.
Will I ever reach it? Will the negative self-talk ever go away? The self-loathing? The hiding?
I don’t know…. I don’t know.
I gained some weight in high school. I had a time in high school where I had lost weight while I was hospitalized for depression. But it wasn’t good enough.
So, I became bulimic.
I could give you a hundred examples of the social pressure I’ve experienced to look a certain way. You can’t go anywhere without being reminded that you are “imperfect” in some way.
It’s horribly destructive.
…Will it always be?
Alright. I need to vent. Bear with me here…
I do stupid things. I’m a big dork. Sometimes I say the wrong thing. I make mistakes all of the time. I can be really lazy. I’m nowhere near the person I want to be yet. I am a complete scatterbrain. I don’t like going places by myself. . I get nervous around people. I jumble my words when I’m tired. I have to force myself to eat vegetables. Sometimes I wear my pajamas all day. I leave the cap off my toothpaste and squeeze it from the middle. I’m clumsy, even walking on solid ground. I get irritated with slow drivers. I’m addicted to sugar. I suck at small talk. I feel awkward most of the time. When I have to speak in front of people, my legs shake and my hands get sweaty. Singing in front of people makes me physically ill. I don’t like my voice, yet was a part of the Waldorf choir back in the late 80’s, early 90’s. I’m terribly self-conscious. I hate doing my hair so I usually put it in a ponytail. I’m always losing things. It’s hard for me to recognize the good in myself. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist. Sometimes I don’t eat enough or I eat way too much. Sometimes I fake being sick to get out of socially stressful situations. I can be a flake. I used to take pain killers every day. Sometimes I take too much of my Ativan, just because I don’t really want to feel. I hate swimming because I’m too self-conscious. I have “saddlebags”. I get bored with myself a lot. I think I’m addicted to caffeine. I throw things when I’m angry. I’m pretty hard on myself. I wish I was more confident. I have a hard time believing people when they compliment me. I make stupid typos. I regret a lot of things.
Now that I’ve subjected you to Julie’s Imperfections 101, I’m going to turn things around a bit and share a list of “Affirmations for Self-Acceptance” that I came across today. Check it out:
1. I am worthy of love and respect regardless of others’ opinions or behavior.
2. My self worth is totally independent of how I compare to others.
3. My self worth is totally independent of any external factors.
4. I am worthy of love and respect regardless of the results of my efforts.
5. I am worthy and will be loved even when others are being given more attention. I am happy for others when they receive love and attention.
6. My self worth is within me and totally independent of whether I am loved exclusively by someone on or not.
7. I am worthy of love and respect even when I am not perfect in what I do and even when I make mistakes.
8. My self worth is totally independent of how much I accomplish.
9. I am worthy of love and respect even when I feel weak or needy.
10. My self worth is totally independent of whether others agree with me or satisfied with me.
11. I deserve love and respect even when I need to say “no” and not respond to what I am asked to do.
12. My self worth has nothing to do with how much I give or receive.
13. My self worth is totally independent as to whether some people trust me or open up to me or not.
14. My self worth is totally independent of how people behave towards me.
15. My self worth is totally independent of how much others work or how they work or what they believe about me.
16. My self worth is a reflection of my divine nature and not my gender, religion, social class etc.
17. My self worth is totally independent of whether others recognize it or how they feel towards me.
18. I accept and love myself as I am with my faults and weaknesses.
19. I am intelligent and capable enough to succeed in any endeavor which is important to me.
20. I deserve to be loved and respected exactly as I am.
21. I have the inner power and strength to deal with whatever life brings me.
22. I am capable of handling any possible difficulties which might occur.
23. I am beautiful exactly as I am – just as all aspects of nature.
24. I am a good person, a worthy person.
25. I am worthy of love and respect regardless of how others behave towards me.
26. I respect and love all persons without feeling any need whatsoever to live my life according to their beliefs or values. I live my life in harmony with my inner values and beliefs.
27. I am in no way responsible for others people’s reality but only for my own motives and behavior towards them.
28. No else is responsible for my reality. I am totally responsible for what I feel and experience in life.
29. My self worth is based on my inner being, my existence itself, my inner divine nature and on no other external factors.
30. My self worth is a simple function of the fact that I am a unique aspect of divine creation. My self worth cannot be increased nor decreased. I can never be more or less worthy of love and respect than another.
31. Although I am not perfect and have various faults, I deserve to be loved and respected as I am, just I as I love and respect others with their faults.
32. When I do not love my self, I am not loving an aspect of divine creation.
33. I often accept in others traits which I reject in my self. Why?
34. I am in a process of personal evolution and am attending to that process.
35. All beings deserve my love and respect, including my self.
(These are adapted from the following link:http://www.holisticharmony.com/lcp/list/affirmations.html)
So there you go.
I’m me. And I’m myself. Any questions?